Best Practices & Applications - 2x4 Construction - Roof Sheathing Installation
Platform-frame (2×4) construction
(Example: 910mm x 1820mm)
Norbord OSB roof panels are manufactured with a screened surface on one side, offering better traction for installers.
Roof sheathing installation*
- Install Norbord OSB panels with long sides running perpendicular to rafters or top chord members
- Stagger panels such that each may be nailed to three or more rafters or top chord members
- Leave a gap of approximately 3mm between panel edges to allow for expansion due to rain or increased humidity
- Blocking can be eliminated when using OSB panels featuring a tongue & groove (T&G) joint, resulting in faster installation
- Recommended OSB grade class: 3
- For complete details, please consult the “Construction Specifications for Platform-Frame Housing Manual”, published by the Japan Housing Finance Agency.